Friday, March 19, 2010

My Want List.....

Do you ever just have something you want so bad? I've got a long laundry list of things I want and I'm having to put it on hold. I sometimes feel like the child who wants just one more lego set! You know, please mom, please! (Can you tell I have a houseful of boys?)

We bought a home several years ago with a walkout basement. For those of you north of the red river that would be a normal purchase. Here in TX it's almost unheard of. We have steadily been updating our home since we purchased it as money allowed.

Now we are to the basement. My "want bone" is really itching. I would love to just quickly finish it out and be done with my "perfect" home. (Or at least until I can get on to remodeling the kitchen!) I think it's just one more of those opportunities to wait on the Lord. I found out this week that just to run a drain line about 4 feet is going to be $1000. Yuk!

Now we are not independently wealthy so there in lies the problem! My natural man side suggests that we just go and get a loan for the amount needed and get on with the project. Why I would ever think that, is beyond me! We have never borrowed for any project. It's amazing how my mind was able to just "figure" it out quite quickly!

I just think that's how the world's mentality really works. You don't have what you want? That's okay, you deserve what you want, go borrow some money and get it. I even had figured out how we could pay it back rather quickly. The problem is, that it would not honor my husband. It wouldn't honor his since of integrity or financial ethics.

So now what? I'm going to pray and see how God moves on our behalf. Our needs are met. We do have a bathroom on the main floor of our home. Most people would think that for a family of six, we could really use another full bathroom. Many would think that we could use quite a few more bedrooms. All seem like normal requests. But God knows what is best for us.

"Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6-7

I have so much peace knowing that God knows my desires. I know that He will truly give us what is needed and maybe more! I also know that by honoring my husband and yielding to his way, God will be able to bless us in His timing and His ways. I'm so encouraged by the peace that came over me! I know that God loves me and our family. I don't want to be so led by MY wants that I completely miss what God has for us.

I don't want a home that's beautiful and "perfect" and filled with strife! I'm so looking forward to seeing how God helps us to build out the basement in His timing and in His ways! I'm thinking that it's going to be better than what I had planned!

I'd love to hear how ya'll have seen God work on fulfilling your desires and dreams! Have a great day and lets keep on trusting God to work in our lives today!

Blessings from the hilltop,
Sheri

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you know that the Lord has provided us with more than we could ever even imagine. It's been trying to the flesh of course to "wait on the Lord", but to our spiritual walk and relationship with Him it's drawn us to a closer communion with Him. And for that we give Him praise and honor.
    "Thank God for what you have, Trust God for what you need."

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((hugs))) If you read my post "4yrs" over @ www.tinycreekhomestead.blogspot.com it will make you feel tons better! LOL! Our house is old, small, in need of a whole new roof (has needed it for 2yrs) and now we need to redo several interior walls from the leakage. In spite of that, I have just been very thankful to have a home, our land and the means to survive with my family close. :-) The Lord's timing is hard at times, I know.

    ReplyDelete