Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Menu

It feels really strange to post my menu. I decided that since I love reading others' menus that I should post mine. So here it is in all it's glory!

taco soup and chips
homemade shake and bake chicken strips, roasted potato wedges, salad and fruit
pinto beans made with a ham bone and cornbread
delicious Italien casserole, salad and fruit
ravioli with smoked sausage , broccoli
steak, potatoes, salad and some sort of desert
pancakes and sausage

I don't make them on a certain night. I just have the ingredients to make each meal. I do decide which night some of the less manly meals will be. For instance, pancakes and sausage is tonight, because Paul won't be home for dinner. I will also put the beans on to soak tonight because tomorrow night we have Awanna and I need an easy meal. I'll cook the beans in my crockpot and they will just be ready.

We had the ravioli with smoked sausage last night. I sort of invented a meal. I added a can of pasta sauce and it actually was good. I have been trying to cook from my pantry this month and it has taken some creativity. I'm glad I did it and my sweet husband encouraged me that we are under budget so far this month in our groceries! If I can just keep it there!

I don't use many prepared foods, so I usually cook breakfast. I cook for Paul early and then later the children and I eat. Yes, I know that means I cook twice, but it's not so bad. It works for us.

One of the things I have been learning to do is to soak anything with a grain overnight. It makes my oatmeal mornings really easy. I just put my oats in a pan with about two big spoons of yogurt, salt and water. When I get up, all I have to do is turn on the stove. Talk about instant breakfast! You can do this with muffins and pancakes as well. When I get up, I just add the eggs and baking powder. You can even mix it up in the blender. I've learned a lot of this with Sue Gregg cookbooks and Nourishing Traditions. Both are really great. I can't say I do everything they say, but we are trying to make healthier choices when we can. Don't we all?

The pursuit of healthy balanced eating is a lifelong struggle for me. Someday, I pray that I get a handle on it, but until then I just continue to press on and trust God for victory. Some days are better than others. One of the things I have been learning is that I am not what I eat! I'm a child of God. I have struggled so often thinking that my value and worth are wrapped up in what I eat. If I eat well, then God loves me. If I eat poorly, then I'm in God's dog house. That's such a tool of the devil!

When I'm eating well, I have to really watch pride. Pride that I'm doing well and look at me, I have control! Yuk! It may be why I've never had victory in this area. I'm sure there are many reasons, but today, I just press on.

There is so much I could write on this topic and I may, but it's enough for today!

"O taste and see that the Lord [our God] is good! Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who trusts and takes refuge in Him. "Psalm 34:8

I'd love to hear more about your menu's and cooking ideas. or your struggles and victories with eating. Ya'll have a great day and enjoy cooking and preparing food for your families!

Hilltop Blessings,
Sheri

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great delicious week to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first married in 1970 I couldn't cook a thing! I'd burn everything and when I made spaghetti, all the noodles slipped down the drain. I asked for cookbooks every birthday and now 40 years later I love cooking! Making your menus out will save you time and money since you can see on paper what you have and what you need. Love your blog! Come visit grannymountain when you have time.
    joycee

    ReplyDelete