Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If At First You Don't Succeed.....Update On Solar Cooking





You try again another day.  The day hasn't come yet!


I put my dinner outside at 2:15.  I figured that it would cook much like a crock pot.  My timing was way off.  I think it would have done fine if I had put it out there about 10:30.  My brain is having trouble adjusting to the thought that it's okay to put your dinner outside on a hot sunny day!

The temp was 104, so I know that it got hot enough, BUT, raw chicken....  All those years of cooking with my mother, just bothered me.  When I went outside to check it at 5:15, everything was VERY hot, but not ready.  I brought it in and cooked it in the oven for about 40 minutes and it was just as tasty as I had imagined!

Lessons Learned: This is a slow bake kind of meal.  You have to give it plenty of time!  I need to put a thermometer inside so I can see what the temperature.  I really need a piece of Plexiglas for the top.

We are going to try this again, but with something a little more simple.  I think we will try a cake or brownies.  Once I get the bugs out of this system, I think it will be very useful!  We have many more days of this infernal heat left, so I might as well make them a little sweeter!

Hilltop Blessings!
Sheri

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're not giving up. I'm learning to bake on the stovetop with my Dutch oven. Let ya know how that one goes.

    ReplyDelete