Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Weeds and Fruit




Proverbs 24:30-34
"I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds, and the stone wall was in ruins. I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man."



Yesterday, I observed the field of my family. We had a lot of weeds growing in our hearts. We were a bit unkind to one another. Some were taking liberties that were not permitted and I had grown lazy in my training. It was time to weed!

Since we have had a lot of rain lately, weeds had taken over our garden! Isn't it great when God shows similarities in the natural realm that touch the core of your heart? We got out to the garden early this morning before it was too hot to work. Some were happier than others, and some felt it was too much work, but together we were able to dig, tear and pull out the weeds!



It felt so good to look back and see some progress. It didn't take long with all of us working together to see some real change. Change also began to slowly appear on faces! Smiles and words of encouragement for one another began to flow! A little work seems to move out the uglies!



Hidden in the weeds we found some treats. God began to show me, that just because we had let some things go didn't mean that there wasn't any fruit. We all want fruit in our lives. Just because we mess up as wives or mothers or friends, doesn't mean that everything is bad! It's so easy to look at one situation and think that EVERYTHING is terrible! No dear one, there is still some good fruit hidden amongst the weeds. He loves us and makes sure to show us our faults and then reveal the good fruit that He was growing all along! Sometimes, we need to ask our Heavenly Father to give us eyes to see the fruit that He is growing in us!



We have cantaloupe! One lone little melon hidden in the weeds! There are some starts of others, but this one is actually doing something! I'm so excited! We've never had one grow before. I'm not even sure when it's supposed to be picked. I'm sure we'll figure it out. Did I ever tell you that I wasn't raised on a farm or have gardening experience? None, nada, not any experience! I'm more of your fair weather type gardener, I like to start big and then kind of fade into the cool of my home when it gets hot and dry. This year I have committed to sticking this thing out! That means that when all of my corn died, I didn't give up! Surely perseverance will pay off!



I have determined that plants that are watered and weeded regularly will grow better and bear more fruit. Isn't that interesting....if we water our spirit with the washing of the water of the Word of God, we bear more fruit. If we address sin in our hearts, we bear even more fruit!

Thank you Lord for revealing your truths to us today!

Hilltop Blessings,
Sheri

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the clarification on the recipe. I was sorry to miss your call and would love to chat with you soon!

    ReplyDelete